Engine manufacturer bulletin of potential interest

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine manufacturer bulletin of potential interest
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 22:43:52 -0600
Since many of the people here are always on the lookout for new and
interesting products, I thought I would pass on the substance of a
bulletin I received from Cummins, the diesel engine manufacturer.

In that bulletin, Cummins warned that it would not honor warranty claims
for coolant problems in engines running a particular brand (Texaco)
extended life coolant.

Apparently, there is a new type of coolant available, the base of which
is a concoction of organic acids. Most such brands of coolants are
advertised as "extended life" or "long life" products. The problem with
such coolants seems to be that they eat any silicone compounds in the
cooling system, such as silicone-based gaskets or seals, or RTV bead
sealants, etc. They also have a tendency to corrode soldered joints.

For those who use RTV to seal water pump-to-block junctions and the
like, or use silicone sealant elsewhere in the cooling system, it might
be advisable to obtain a spec sheet on any "long life" coolant before
using it. If the spec sheet lists a composition of a single organic
acid, or a compound of same, it might be best to not use that coolant
until formulations are available which are safe for silicone and
soldered fittings.

Cheers.