Re: tonneau & wheel arch deflector questions

To: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Subject: Re: tonneau & wheel arch deflector questions
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 13:45:36 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Tim Gaines wrote:

> Two questions for the list:
>
> 1) Do the plastic wheel arch deflectors in the VB catalog work?  I
>    am especially interested in preventing water and dirt from being
>    thrown back into the rear fenders of a TR6.

I think your best method of preventing water and dirt is to keep the inner
fenders spotlessly clean.

However, this is not an easy task- but I intend to get in there with the
hose and get rid of any dirt of mud that gets flung (flinged?) up into the
nooks & crannies of my car.

I considered the plastic inner fenders, but they aren't the best solution
IMHO, as there are still places for moisture to collect and dirt to get
stuck.  Keep it clean and dry, maybe treat with WaxOyl or undercoating,
and just generally take care of the car.  Maybe even pull the fenders off
every so often and check for rust.  (I pulled my front fender 1yr after
I'd welded the whole thing up; it was treated with asphalt undercoating
over rust paint and hadn't even chipped.  But it was quicker than
guessing!

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm