RE: Carb's Rebuilt and it still sputters at low RPM

To: "'Barry Schwartz'" <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: RE: Carb's Rebuilt and it still sputters at low RPM
From: "Radley, Jack" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:12:56 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Barry:

I had the same feeling about a lean condition coming out of worn
metering needles.  If they are worn, they cannot restrict the fuel flow
as well as a new needle.  I went with a rebuild anyway.  Although I have
a sputter at low RPM, the car seems to run with more power at higher
RPMs.

The part of the metering needle that was altered was the part that
inserted into the damper piston.  "Head" was my term for that end of the
needle.  That end was held very slightly to a grinding wheel to make a
slight change in the length of the needle, elevating it away from the
jet slightly, thereby allowing more fuel to flow.  This was a temporary
fix and, seemed to work pretty well.  After the rebuild, the sputtering
became worse, I went on vacation and then my mechanic went on vacation.

I had new points and a condenser installed this spring.  The plugs have
been out and look OK.  I have ordered a new rotor and cap at the
suggestion of several responses to my message and will do that change
myself.

Thanks for the response.

Jack Radley
76TR6