Re: TR3 electrical question

To: coday@localaccess.com
Subject: Re: TR3 electrical question
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:16:21 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Several thoughts :

1) Get a cheap digital volt-ohm-milliammeter, like the one Harbor
Freight frequently has on sale for $10.  Although the accuracy and
quality isn't much, they are rugged enough to ride around in the boot,
and cheap enough that it's not a tragedy if something drastic should
happen. (I once dropped a VOM into the fan blades of a running engine.
OOPS!)  I find that just having one helps repel the demons of Lucas <g>

2) Use a test lamp across the fuse terminals.  This can be as simple as
a turn signal socket, bulb, and wires, with the wires jammed between the
fuse holder contacts and a bad fuse. (I use a Chevy marker light, and
cheap 'clip leads' from Radio Shack.)

3) Put a self-resetting circuit breaker in the fuse block. (Auto parts
stores carry these, designed to replace a regular fuse.)  You can then
use a cheap magnetic compass (the kind that seeks North, not the kind
that draws a circle <g>) to trace the current flow to the short.  The
needle will deflect wildly when held next to a wire carrying current.
Or, Whitney sells a kit for $25 that does the same thing (and supposedly
has instructions).

Hope this helps.
Randall
59 TR3A