RE: Angle drive repair

To: Tom Snabl <toms@eicon.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: Angle drive repair
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:34:29 -0400
Message text written by Tom Snabl
>Have you ever taken one apart.  I assume good old BL had these made with
nylon or plastic gears making this the weak and most expensive to replace
fail safe item in the speedo chain.
<

Take apart an angle drive?  Yes I did to repair it.  Not easy, I must say.
Mine was all metal.  It is not cheap plastic inside.  Remember it turns around
1000
times per mile!!!  At road speed that is about 1000 rpm.  On my car with 4.1
rear, it
is around 1344 per mile.  That is pretty fast rpm, and many turns over its life.

It is a scroll gear type arrangement inside so the gears do not reverse the
direction of the
shaft rotation.

The short flex input cable is welded into a short tube and then pressed into a
gear.  This
is then inserted into the angle drive and a back plate is pressed in.  The back
plate has a few crimps
to hold it.  It can be removed by using a dremel tiny burr to remove the
crimps, then the plate
gets pushed out by pressing the gear out from the other side.  Then get a
defunct speedo or
tach cable, cut off the required length, remove the old flex cable from the
tube (tough) then tack weld the
new one in.  Press the tube into the gear and reassemble.  Presto, a new angle
drive.  If you pay
someone else to do it, just buy a new one.....

-Tony