RE:x4: sleeved thermostats

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:x4: sleeved thermostats
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 03:06:29 EDT
Carl Musson and Fred Thomas and cc: THE TR LIST,

Thank you for sending your Triumph sleeved/bellows thermostats for my
scrutiny.

I really hope someone makes 'bellows thermostats with sleeves' again someday
for our Triumphs...

In the mean time, I am keeping my eyes open (as I go through this 2 year TR4
restoration) for an idea on how to configure some new parts (ie; modern
thermos) and old materials (ie; brass) to make a better option than the $30
Jag configured 'sleeved thermostat'.
It may cost the same, or even more - but would work the way originally
designed for our Triumph housings.

For now I plan to use the Jag type as it is 'very solid construction' but I
would like to look at an old Jag housing too to see if they are in fact any
different, and how, from our Triumph housings.

As I mentioned in the note in your return packages, the Jag aftermarket
version works well enough but the 'reverse action' and 'slower reaction time'
is not exactly the same performance-wise as the original bellows type. I'm
not sure yet if the 'different reaction' time would even show up on the temp
guage. We'll see when I get my engine running again. Haven't heard of any
complaints from those who have installed the Jag type on their Triumphs
except cost-which in retrospect is seeming cheaper by the minute and by the
hour and by the day that I spend on this!!

I think the key to success would be to emulate the Jag idea...take available,
cheap, reliable thermostats for $7, add simple brass sleeves to work with our
particular Triumph housings, 'combine' and presto.

The Jag sleeve, as simple as it first seems, looks to be upon closer
inspection, a custom die cut piece (brass sleeve), precisely machined, and
then silver soldered to the popularly available Robert Shaw 330-160
thermostat. That's where the big cost is...the custom die to cut patterns in
thick guage brass and manually soldering each to the thermostat in three
places..who's gonna pay for that? ...well I bought two Jags thermos so
far...(didn't trust the first one - opened at 167 not 160 like it's marked
-but they both open the same!)

The crux of the problem is that the 'activating mechanism' has drastically
changed (from big awkward bellows and sleeve moving in the 'forward
direction' to a tiny cylinder and piston type non-sleeved mechanism moving in
'backward direction'). Apparently all thermostats followed this trend over
the last 30 years. It's hard to work around the 'reversal of direction' when
dealing with our 'bypass ported' housing.

Worse come to worse - if the Jag thermos work well ... I will be very happy
indeed to buy 'em at $30 a pop and be very thankfull they are well made and
even available!
If they were not available I would jump on the " 'quarter inch hole
restrictor washer' in the by-pass hose concept" in a minute. Meanwhile ...my
engine's already been toasted.

Until further notice...happy motoring...and thanks to Carl and Fred for their
effort in sending authentic bellows/skirted thermostats to me. After 25 years
of not knowing any better ... and some overheating problems... it was great
to see, and scrutinize ... THE REAL THING!
Sincerley,
Carl
'64 TR4 since '74
ps; don't forget you got a 'ready buyer' if ever you think of tossing those
old thermos out. I'll fork over big bucks (max $10) plus I'll pay for
shipping.
ps2; in my spare time (unless someone else will please do it) I would like to
put a somewhat 'warning/educational' section in the FAQ of our TRIUMPH LIST
to explain the thermostat workings to unwary Triumph owners and show photos
of a real 'sleeved thermostat'  and the available Jag type aftermarket
thermostats (BTW: Jag type thermos are available at XKs Unlimited
1-800-444-JAGS and at Moss Motors too)...would also mention how the
'restrictor washer' in the bypass hose idea works ...also how the 'bypass
port' in the thermostat housing can 'erode' to twice the normal size
gradually but dramatically diminish your cars cooling power.
....shifting into second now.......    .....    ......     ........bye