Re: solder bad for cars

To: McGaheyRx@aol.com, miket@urgrgcc.edu, CarlSereda@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: solder bad for cars
From: John Dowson <jdo@star.le.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:40:28 +0100

OK to expand a bit on my sweeping statement which seemed
to condemn solder joints in cars let me add the following.

Solder connections have long term reliability problems when
they are operated in a continual vibration environment.
The failure takes place where the solder has wicked up the
wire underneath the insulation and at the point where the
solder ends.
At that point the wire strands are free to flex and if allowed
to do so will eventually fracture.
The cure is to support the insulation at that point, which is
exactly what takes place in a properly designed connector
with back shell.

The use of crimp connectors is attractive to manufacturers
because they can use cheap unskilled labour to make reliable
wire terminations, but there is no question that given a properly
designed connector, correct wire type and gauge, correct crimp tool
and a few other factors then a very reliable joint will result.

Many books have been written on both crimp and solder joints
and both joints are complex when looked at in detail, but lets
keep this in perspective and try and ensure that our lights do not
go out and that the ignition system runs reliably.

I think a bit of attention to detail in this area is well worth while.

Best Regards

John Dowson