Re: First "real" breakdown!ca>

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>, The Usual Suspects <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: First "real" breakdown!ca>
From: John Dowson <jdo@star.le.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:20:56 +0100
As I keep trying to tell people soldering is really bad news for reliability
on automotive wired connections!

If the soldering of the wire is done correctly with the wire being solder
tinned first then the solder will wick up inside the insulation making
the wire rigid inside the insulation.
Vibration and flexing will cause the wire to fracture at that point.

Crimp connections are much more reliable when made correctly and
that includes stripping the insulation without nicking the conductors
and using the correct manufacturers crimp tool, not a pair of old pliers
or side cutters.

For connections that terminate in a ring or slide on connector the wire
support to the connection can be improved by fitting a piece of adhesive
lined heat shrink tube over the terminal/wire area after crimping.

This is a big subject and if anyone feels they need more help on making
their electrics more reliable contact me off list.

Best Regards

John Dowson