RE: New repro parts available

To: "'Vito Pacione'" <vito@argohouston.com>
Subject: RE: New repro parts available
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:32:00 -0700
Cc: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Vito :

I think you must have misunderstood me.  I was not trying to criticize you,
or the fact you kindly offered to sell your parts to the list, in any way.
 $.60 is more than fair, and I wasn't even trying to suggest that it was
worth trying to make them by hand for that price.

I may have misinterpreted your original post (I obviously missed the point
about the .004" not being available -- I though you said they were).  It
sounded to me as though you had gone to a lot of trouble and expense to
have the shims made up (and were being a nice person by offering to share
the fruits of your labor).

As I said, I'm ignorant : I have no idea what these shims look like.  I was
merely trying to learn a little more about them.  (For instance, I had no
idea there was an inside to cut out.  I had rather envisioned a rectangular
piece of metal with only mounting holes.)

I do apologize if I sounded sarcastic or insulting, that was not my
intention.

If you must take offense at my clumsy questions, then flame away at me
(preferably off-list), but please don't deny others the chance to buy your
shims.

Randall
59 TR3A "daily driver wanna be"

On Thursday, July 15, 1999 2:57 PM, Vito Pacione
[SMTP:vito@argohouston.com] wrote:

> Well, you can't get the .004's so that takes care of point # 1
>
> If you can cut .010 shim stock with scissors, you are a better man than
I.
> (maybe you are anyway!)
>
> Thicker ones are even more difficult to cut accurately (for sure no way
> cut out the I.D. with scissors. You would have to use a punch, but I
think
> a hand punch would dull too fast (don't know for sure, though)
>

> I recieved two messages on this issue. One was from someone trying to get
> these done cheaper than .60 (if you can get them done for .30 - then you
> get to buy an extra pack of gum)
>
> The other was this one that is trying to figure out a way not to use the
> shims.
>
> All I was trying to do here is make some parts that I had a real hard
time
> trying to find available to the rest of the list. I am not going to get
> rich on this, and it was never done to make money. It was done to fill my
> personal need, and I thought I would share. So much for that. I have
> decided not to sell them after all.
>

> At 02:32 PM 7/15/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >Ok, guys. I'm going to let my ignorance of later cars show here :
> >
> >What is so special about these shims that you can't
> >1) use (5) .004s instead of (2) .010s ?
> >2) cut them from some .010" shim stock with scissors and gasket cutter ?
> >3) If it takes so many .010", why not cut some thicker ones ?
> >
> >Randall
> >

> >On Thursday, July 15, 1999 2:03 PM, Paul Burr [SMTP:tigerpb@ids.net]
wrote:

TRF

> >> Listers: Anyone on the list involved with the Photo Etching industry?
This