Re:TR6 Steering

To: Bandre Frank Contractor AMC/SCP <Frank.Bandre@scott.af.mil>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:TR6 Steering
From: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov (Bud Rolofson)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 12:23:52 -0400
Frank

Two possibilities come to mind.

There's a safety clamp on the steering column on the engine bay side that has
two bolts holding it to the steering column.  On the bottom there's a locknut on
a grubscrew (turn the steering wheel to get it on top to look at it but turn it
back so it's on the bottom to adjust it).  This grubscrew may be loose and
letting the column shafts (upper and lower) shift  which would give you that
little bit of left and right play in your steering wheel.  Make sure the two
bolts holding the safety clamp are tight then tighten the grubscrew to 18-20
ft/lb and tighten the locknut.

Assuming the flexible coupling itself is tight (which you'll want to check) the
other possibility is that the pinchbolt that secures the  flexible coupling to
the lower steering column is loose.  This is the pinchbolt between the flexible
coupling and the safety clamp.

Good Luck

Bud
71TR6 CC57365