Alloy Wheels Problem - Advice - Non-LBC

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alloy Wheels Problem - Advice - Non-LBC
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:55:29 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers,

If I could impose on you for some advice on my regular family car.  I
recently bought a new 99 Passat GLX.   I traded in a 98 Mazda 626 ES with
5-speed and V6.   I had bought 16" Borbet alloy wheels and 205/55-16 Dunlop
Sport 4000 tires has way to sport up the car a little and get better grip
in the summer.   Here in northern Mass... I keep a second set of winter
tires on rims... I used the stock Mazda 15" alloys for the winter tires.

I did some measuring and consulted Tirerack and was told that the wheels
would fit the Passat and they sold me new centering rings to match.  REALLY
BAD NEWS... It turns out that the bolt patterns are off by 2 MM.  The
Passat uses a 5 x112 MM pattern and the Mazda uses a 5 x114.2 MM pattern.
the 114.2 pattern is what is used on most all Japanese cars and Japanese
imports in domestic logos.

Two questions.  First.... Is there anyone with enough knowledge to know if
the 2 MM problem can be "redrilled" away. Or two....if I must sell them...
can I get some advice on where to sell the 114.2 wheels.... Internet,
Hemmings, Ebay or what.  If I list them in the local "for sale" rag it will
take a year and lots of luck.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site