Re: Pertronix dwell spec needed!

To: dterrick@pangea.ca, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pertronix dwell spec needed!
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:07:26 EDT
In a message dated 7/13/99 5:05:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dterrick@pangea.ca writes:

> The ignitor shows a 20 degree dwell.  I think this is the problem.  A
>  standard Lucas coil is fitted.  I suspect spark breakdown due to low dwell
>  time,  can anybody confirm this with their own?  The next option is
>  substitution of the distributor since the car ran fine on that coil before
>  rebuild.  The car does not seem to have a resistor wire and shows 12 v on
>  the primary side.

Dave,

20 degrees dwell is definitely too small. Per the TR6 manual, dwell should be
35 degrees, but I don't believe you can adjust dwell on a Pertronix unit.
Dwell specs are based on the engine and coil, so they would be the same for
the Pertronix. Low dwell will most definitely cause running problems.

If you have 12 volts on the coil primary with the engine running, then you
don't have a ballast resister, which is as it should be on a '69. Ballast
resister were introduce about '74.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/