Pertronix dwell spec needed!

To: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pertronix dwell spec needed!
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:07:19 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi listers:

A fresh rebuild on a 69 TR6 motor for a friend is being hampered by popping
and sputtering when warm.  I suspect the pertronix or the coil.  This, BTW,
is the guy that wouldn't buy a spare case of oil.  He did.  The break in
went flawlessly (Thanks Ted S. for the TDC timing trick).

Now,  I know it has only 150 miles on it.  The carbs were not rebuilt and
have old stromberg disease but no mre so than better running cars.  They are
actually runnign a bit rich despite leaky throttle shafts.  A leakdown test
shows no problem at any port but it sputters like it has burned valves.  The
head was redone professionally but has not yet been re-torqued.  There are
no signs of leakage.  Timing is 12 BTDC for now (vacuum retard spec dist.)

The ignitor shows a 20 degree dwell.  I think this is the problem.  A
standard Lucas coil is fitted.  I suspect spark breakdown due to low dwell
time,  can anybody confirm this with their own?  The next option is
substitution of the distributor since the car ran fine on that coil before
rebuild.  The car does not seem to have a resistor wire and shows 12 v on
the primary side.

elp?  (that's broad british for "Help")

TIA

Dave T