Re: Just took another look was TR3B Whats it worth?

To: KHOCO@aol.com
Subject: Re: Just took another look was TR3B Whats it worth?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 09:52:34 -0400 ()
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 KHOCO@aol.com wrote:

> Listers
>           I took another look at the TR3B. Not bad at all. The car was
> restored six years ago, and the engine rebuilt almost two years ago. I was
> hardpressed to find any rust anywhere. I finally found a small spot under the
> brake master cylinder. The car appears to be in very good conditition
> throughout. HOWEVER the commission number is wrong for a TR3B. The number is
> TS 73737L which would make it a mid 1960 TR3A not a late 1962 TR3B.

Specifically, that car would have been built mid-April 1960 (witness
TS73624L built on 4/15/60).

> The shop
> owner did the rebuild on the engine and told me it does have the larger
> engine. I suspect this is an upgraded car like andy mentioned. Does this
> change the value of the car?

Note that it is very difficult nowadays to find
the "original size" 83mm pistons and liners, so almost anyone rebuilding
an engine today WILL upgrade to the 2138 engine! As to influence on the
value, I don't really think there's much difference, unless it is an
absolutely correct, original 3B and it is a collector of such correct,
original cars contemplating purchase. Even there, I doubt there is a great
premium over a correct, original late 3A. ;-)

--Andy