Re: Why is emory cloth bad?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why is emory cloth bad?
From: catucker@vnet.net
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 21:19:43 -0400
Butch,
The tiny pieces of grit from emory cloth or sandpaper tends to become embedded
in the contact material, and disrupts the pattern of spark when the
contacts are
closing or opening, leading to premature burning of the contact.
A small metal file is the way to go.
At least that's what I was told several years ago.
Charles
Several 250's in various states of disrepair.

At 01:36 PM 07/12/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Several documents that I have read (including the Haynes manual)
specifically say "not emory cloth" when describing the cleaning of contact
points and commutators. Does anyone know why the use of emory is disallowed?