RE: tach grinding

To: "Radley, Jack" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: tach grinding
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 21:05:30 -0400
>On the way home from the British Car Day in Cincinnati, my TR6 developed
>a light "grinding sound" in the tachometer.  It sounds like there is
>some grit in the mechanism.  Tach seems to work ok, just makes a little
>noise.

>Ideas?

Jack,  the noise may be due to the magnet touching the "drag cup".  It might
be loss of lubrication in the input shaft of the unit.  It might be loss of
lubrication of the bearing between the magnet and pointer spndle.  Does the
pointer waver in a new way?  Does it waver at all?  It ought not be allowed to
persist.  If the works seize, it can cause more damage than a broken cable,
not to mention the loss of a speedometer.

See my manaul about speedometer repair.  The speedometer is actually just
a tachometer calibrated to mph running off the trans output shaft, so
all the details apply to tachometers!  Other goodies can be found there
as well.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/arhodes

-Tony