Re: TR6 hardtop headliner

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 hardtop headliner
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 16:40:04 -0400
Bandre Frank Contractor AMC/SCP wrote:

> To the list:
>
> Looking for suggested material to use for a replacement headliner for my
> factory TR6 hardtop.  Original headliner is in place (has several holes and
> stains) and can be used as a pattern.  Any ideas on how had it would be to
> make a new headliner?  Is the better way to order one from Rimmer Bros  (in
> stock for about $80.00 and free shipping, but does not include material for
> deck around the windows)?  TIA.
>
> Frank
> '76 TR6 CF57005U

Frank,

A cautionary note on the headliners from Rimmer.  We got one back in November
and it
was not cut wide enough from side to side, was not of the correct original
material,
and didn't provide extra material to cover the surround below the windows.

Ended up sourcing yard goods from Newton Commercial out of the UK as used in
surrey
top headliners from TR-4/4A's. (Not quite right for the 6, but was the best we
could
come up with in 4 month's searching.  I didn't want to use any of the American
type
vinyls you get at the auto upholstery shops because they just don't seem to look
right.)  Ended up making one up with the old liner as a template.

Normally, I'm quite happy with Rimmer, but that was a real let-down.  I thought
the
price was too good to be true when I ordered it.  I guess you get what you pay
for.
The finished hardtop now looks fabulous with it's custom liner, but I won't
admit to
the list just how much it really cost. ;-)

Good luck!

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars