Re: TR 6 engine differences

To: 105671.471@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: TR 6 engine differences
From: Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de (Gerhard Wiederholl)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 00:57:15 +0200
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dave Massey schrieb:

> Gerhard Wiederholl writes:
>
> >Hello all,
> >
> >some weeks ago someone forwarded an EMAIL of someone in Germany with 2
> truck
> >trailers full of Triumph parts to the list. Last week I visited this man
> and
> >found a very impressive collection of used parts, mainly from Triumphs.
> Said
> >man, Corvette Stingray owner, knows very little about Triumphs and tryed
> even to
> >sell me a Big Healy engine as a TR 6 engine.
> >
> >However I thought I found a good engine for my TR 6 with the correct
> prefix
> >"CC", number 83725, and bougt it after extensive inspection. It has no
> flywheel
> >and no manifolds on it and I didn t care because I thought I could use the
> parts
> >from my original  "CC 31998" engine.
> >
> >What I found out until now is that my early "CC" flywheel and inlet
> manifold
> >seem not to fit.
> >
> >Question: If I manage to get a late inlet manifold and a late flywheel,
> will
> >everything else from my early engine fit (carburettors, starter motor,
> clutch
> >etc.) or is there someting else I should know. Any experiences or
> opinions.
> >

> >Gerhard Wiederholl
> >
> >1969 TR 6
>
> Herr Gerhard,
>
> I am very much suprised to find out that the flywheel does not fit.  I
> purchased
> an engine from a 1973 TR6 for installation in my 71 TR6 and other than the
> intake manifold I had no troubles transfering parts.  The starter, water
> pump,
> distributor, everything, fit just fine.
>
> Check again the flywheel and let us know if they are really incompatable.
> Maybe the 69 model is different from the 71 thru 73 models.???
>
> Good luck
>
> Dave Massey
> St. Louis, MO USA

Thank you Dave,

I checked this again and also checked all parts catalogues availible and found
out this:

There are 2 types of TR 6 crankshafts and 2 types of flywheels. Early
crankshafts and flywheels up to CC/CP 50000 and late crankshafts and flywheels
from CC/CP 50001 onwards. Early crankshafts are "long" and late crankshafts are
"short". The crankshafts are interchangeable between early and late models
providing that the corresponding flywheel is also fitted. Early crankshafts
have
a long rear extension, and the flywheel is recessed. Late crankshafts have a
shorter rear extension using a non recessed flywheel.

Regards

Gerhard Wiederholl

CC 31998 LO