Re: TR3A Inner Lower Fulcrum Pins

To: Paul Schneider <schneidr@mc.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Inner Lower Fulcrum Pins
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 15:51:36 -0700
Cc: Andy Dixon <amdixon@erols.com>, "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Paul Schneider wrote:

> Yes, they are sleeved.  Three of four on my car came off with out much
> effort.  The fourth is waiting for the chisel.
>
> I bought a front end kit from VB.  The lower bushings are slightly looser
> than the ones I removed.  I hate to stick with the old, but I don't know the
> allowable clearance.  How do your new ones fit?
>
> Paul

Andy & Paul,

These are basically the same as on my TR4. I recently stripped a frame
for the car which had been sitting for a long, long time and found these
sleeves severely rusted in place, to the  point where if I didn't know
there were sleeves, I wouldn't have been able to tell by looking!
Interestingly, the ones on my "old" frame, which are probably original
to the car, weren't frozen (but other parts of the frame are trashed!)

Someone else suggested carefully using a Dremel with a cut-off tool,
which I ended up doing on one. Be very careful not to cut too deep, the
fulcrum pin would be a bear to replace! I also found a big honkin'
plumber's pipe wrench helped get a good grip on em, even better if you
use the Dremel to cut a couple shallow slots first to improve the
wrench's grip. Also, first apply liberal amounts of WD-40 or equivalent.
Allow it to sit overnight and reapply. Repeatedly heating them up didn't
seem to have much effect. Swearing at them helps, at least it made me
feel better. They do eventually come off.

Yes, the new ones may seem loose at first. That's okay as they are
trapped in place and prevented from turning when you bolt everything
back together. When reassembling, I put a bit of anti-seize compound on
the pin in hopes that the sleeves won't be frozen on the next time! I'm
not sure this is a good idea as it may encourage the sleeve to turn

fyi: I notice several of the British TR vendors are offering stainless
steel sleeves in an effort to prevent the problem you've encountered.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L

 --