Re: 72 TR6 /Toyota brake calipers.

To: krus@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: 72 TR6 /Toyota brake calipers.
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 15:47:21 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, jh_davis@mindspring.com
In a message dated 7/2/99 11:32:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
krus@worldnet.att.net writes:

> Dan was it you who had converted the brake calipers on your TR6 to Toyota
>  4piston calipers?  I am in the process of working the braking system on my
>  72TR6 and just happen to have one 4piston Toyota caliper  (80 something) in
>  the shop.  I notice that the bolt holes line up and the brake line fitting
>  works. It looks like the dust shield will have to be modified.  What is the
>  exact year caliper needed to make this conversion?  What wheels are needed
>  to clear this oversized caliper?  Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks.

Russ,

I am "doing" the conversion, but I haven't "done" it yet. I bought a pair of
'82 Toyota 4x4 pickup truck calipers ($40 + $30 core charge each, + about $25
for pads, clips, retaining pins, etc). The calipers almost fit without
modifications. The only thing I know that I have to do is trim the dust
shields a little to clear the calipers, as they are about 1/4 - 1/2 inch
longer on each end than stock TR6.

The calipers will bolt up using the stock bolts on some models, but on
others, the bolts are a smidge too small in diameter. You can use thin shim
stock to wrap around the bolts if they are too small, or in some cases, you
could use the proper TR6 bolts. I thihk there are about 3 - 4 different bolts
used on various models, so I don't know which ones to use. The bolts on a '75
model have the larger shoulder on them, so no shims are required. However,
when I ordered new bolts from TRF, using their catalog parts number, I didn't
get the same bolts, so maybe my '75 has been modified at some time in the
past.

As far as I know, that's all the mods required to fit the calipers, although
there may be some dust shiled trimming required for suspension clearance
holes, but I don't know yet. The stock wheels will clear.

The brake line fitting may need to be changed. On my car, I don't have any
brake lines yet, so that won't be a problem for me, as I have to get new
lines anyway -- I'll just get the right ones to begin with.

The conversion is so easy to do, the calipers, including core charge, are
cheaper than TR6 calipers, and the braking is so much better, it just doesn't
make sense not to do it if you are having to redo your brakes anyway.

BTW, two people on this list have done the swap, so maybe they will contact
you with more info.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/