Re: Electric Tach question

To: spitlist@gte.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electric Tach question
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 15:40:26 EDT
In a message dated 7/3/99 9:47:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, spitlist@gte.net
writes:

>  Dan Masters can probably whip out a circuit to supply that function in
>  his sleep!  Right Dan?
>
>  Dan!  Dan, are you listening?

Joe,

I'm listening, and I "sorta" could whip out a circuit, but getting from the
functional design to the real world fix would be a bit of a job. Most of
these type circuits are intended for computor type enviroment, and a lot of
study and testing would be required to make sure it would work in the
automobile world. As an example, if the condensor should go bad, you can get
as much as 400 volts on the input to the tach, so it would have to be
designed to handle that, as well as all the heat and vibration.

I believe TeriAnn said she had an MGB tach?  If so, it depends on what year
it is, as the earlier tachs used a current loop rather than input pulses. The
12 volt lead to the coil made a loop inside the tach, so it is magnetically
coupled. This would be a little different that using a puse divider.

However, there is a web site with instructions on how to do this. I don't
have the address, but I'll ask in the MGV8 mail list and see if anyone there
has it. As I recall, it was a fairly simple fix.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74