Re: drain plug

To: Ernest Husmann <chusmann@execpc.com>, TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Re: drain plug
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 22:00:45 -0400
Ernest Husmann  writes:
>Suggested needed.  Have a 1973 TR6 that I recently purchased.  The car
>came equipped with a broken drain plug for draining coolant from the
>block.  The plug is broken off approximately 1/2 to 3/4 inches below the
>outer block surface.  Has anyone had this problem and how did you go
>about removing the broken plug (I'm hoping to accomplish this without
>lifting the motor or taking the engine apart.
>
>Any suggestions will be most appreciated.
>
>Ernie Husmann

Ernie,

Sounds like a job for Mr. EZ-OutŪ.  It is probably stuck due to corrosion
so
soak it thourouly with some penetrating oil (for about a week) first.  This

plug should be brass so it should come out fairly easy.  The trick is to
get the right size EZ-OutŪ.  Get the largest one that will fit in the
application.

Is it a solid plug or is it hollow (allowing the coolant to leak out)?
There are
three main types of plugs:
1) Square head.  These are solid plugs
2) Hex head.  These can have a hollow body.  If these break off the coolant

will leak out.
3) Socket head.  These usually take an allen wrench although I've seen
slotted
varieties.  This type can look like it is broken off when in actuality
there is
nothing wrong.

If you have type 1 then you will have to drill a hole but you could leave
it be since
there won't necessarily be a leak.  If you have the second type then you
don't have
to drill a hole but you must address the issue as the cooling system won't
hold
water.  If you have the third type then check again very carefully, it
might be just
fine.

Good luck

Dave Massey