Adjustable Koni's

To: Cameron Greig <tr6greig@globalnet.co.uk>
Subject: Adjustable Koni's
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 22:00:50 -0400
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Cameron writes:
>Hi All
>
>Anyone out there with Koni Adjustables on a TR6.The previous owner
>fitted these to the car,I realise they have to be removed for adjusting
>but thats all I know.
>The car was just fine until I fitted new tyres all round,same size,totally
>different feel.I have lost all confidence in fast corners,the car is
>twitchy,
>unsettled,feeling like its on tip toes.The tyres have lots of grip,but the
>feels all wrong .Hope this makes  sense to someone.
>I thought I may softed the koni's a lillte,any thoughts?
>
>Cameron
>71 TR6

I noticed the same thing when I put new tires on my Audi.  I figured
it was just the difference in tires.  Over time as you re-learn the
car's characteristics you will regain your confidence.  You can
also play with your tyre pressures.

If you want to adjust the Koni's you must remove them first.  (Great
fun, eh?)  Once they are off you have to extend them completely,
remove the rubber bump stop in the shaft and then compress them
completely to engage the adjuster.  Now turn the upper part to adjust.
There is about a two turn adjustment range.  You can work them
manually to see which way to go to soften them up.  But remember
to count the turns so you know where you started.

Good luck.

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA