Re: TR6: Alt questions again

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: TR6: Alt questions again
From: Rob Christopher <robc@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:51:11 -0400
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hey, you guys are good.

Malcolm, you're using all the same words Brian (the local guru) was using,
and I promptly filtered out.
He actually has a bench mounted test jig he built so the alt isn't in the
car.  I'm not exactly sure how he's got the IGN connection wired as I wasn't
there when he tested it.

But to throw some more info at you, the whole reason I pulled the alt and
battery for testing in the first place (besides the < 11 volt reading on the
dash) was the little red IGN light in the tach would come on while idling and
brighten above that 2000 rpm mark so I think the alt worked, although
marginally, at that point.  When he opened the case, he found the brushes
were non-existent, ie the srpings were actually making the armature contacts.

Since the new bearings and brushes, he says that once it gets going by
bootstrapping it, it's a real powerhouse and I'm sure he would have checked
the regulators.

I'm almost wondering if it's just his test setup and that if I drop it back
into the '6 that it'll be fully functional.  He's used to testing/rebuilding
Lucas units, do they have this same bootstrap requirement?

--
 Rob Christopher   |       |           |       |   robc@cisco.com
 Hardware Engineer |     .|||.       .|||.     |   (613) 274-4075