Re: Leaded Paint?

To: "Stinocher, Bryan D." <bdstinocher@sewsus.com>
Subject: Re: Leaded Paint?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 08:28:15 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "'TRIUMPH MAIL'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Stinocher, Bryan D. wrote:

> I have been sanding the paint off of my car (with the 3M scouring pads for
> your drill that are sold in WalMart, etc) the last couple of days, and have
> noticed that I am extremely tired the next morning, that I don't feel good,
> etc (and it ISN'T just having to drag my lazy butt into work!), and I was
> wondering: did they use lead in paint for cars in the 60s? I'm taking all
> the paint off of the car, which obviously includes the original white.

Regardless of whatever's in the paint- I suggest you get a respirator.
You will need one anyway when painting the car.  Organic Vapor filter with
dust pre-filters are the way to go.

If you're really paranoid about lead fumes, you can get lead respirator
filters too (I think with the North brand they are purple).  I have some
of these that are relics from fishing-weight-casting experiments.  They
remove the nasty stuff that is in lead smoke, so any sort of filter like
that with a pre-filter to remove particulate matter will help.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm