RE: Just bought a Spitfire

To: "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Just bought a Spitfire
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 11:04:41 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <cometman_98@yahoo.com>
Welcome!

I had the opposite experience. I couldn't keep the Spit going so I bought a
Norton!

The difference was that the Spit was incredibly abused, and a winter daily
driver in Massachusetts! (I still loved it.) The Nort was totally rebuilt by
a real English bike mechanic and was owned and maintained by an enthusiast.
I wouldn't hesitate to ride it anywhere.

The Spit is in pieces in my back yard (she will live again). (Instead of
giving up on Triumphs I bought a one that was "owned and maintained by an
enthusiast." I wouldn't hesitate to drive that one anywhere!

Both are simple and very reliable machines given correct maintenance. Both
are wonderful to Drive/Ride!

The more you drive them, the better they run. Once your mechanic takes care
of the rear end U joints (and let him take care of anything else he finds
anywhere) you should be good to go. Get the manual and learn to perform all
the maintenance. Learn to ENJOY performing the maintenance. Don't give in to
any urge to try to make it "go faster" until it's running perfectly in stock
form.

Congratulations and Enjoy!

Chris Lillja
'66 TR4A