Re: Herald Carburetor - Replacement Options

To: chad.jester@ae.ge.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Herald Carburetor - Replacement Options
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 13:46:38 EDT
In a message dated 6/24/99, 12:39:31 PM, chad.jester@ae.ge.com writes:
<<Has anyone replaced a stock Herald Downdraft Solex carburetor with something
else?  I can't find a rebuild kit for mine (except Kip Motors in TX or the UK
Suppliers) plus they are all worn out.

I'd like to find something that will bolt on without a whole lot of trouble.

I've not found anything that will bolt onto the original manifold. Seems that
about the easiest way is the "traditional" upgrade of twin SUs from an 1147
(six-port) Spitfire. It's best done in conjunction with boosted compression
ratio, the Spit's cam, etc., but it works respectably well as a bolt-on
modification in and of itself. Note that most of the later Herald 1200
engines, especially most GD series blocks, have most all of the other mod's
(well, at least the Spitfire cam).

I have driven a circa 1963 Herald 1200 with just the carbs (no other internal
engine mod's that I was aware of), and it works pretty well. One seems to
lose a bit of low-end response, but not enough to matter an awful lot.

--Andy

Andrew Mace, VTR President and part-time AOL user