Re: TR4's vs 6's

To: Johntr6@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4's vs 6's
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:45:55 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Johntr6@aol.com wrote:

> I'm a long-time 6 owner who is presently looking at a 65 TR4. Needs work but
> not a total restore. Aside from the stylish Michelotti body, does anyone out
> there speak strongly for this model? Some call it a "transition", and there
> isn't much difference mechanically from the TR3's, is there? The 4 cylinder
> is nice and simple, but speed and acceleration don't measure up to previous
> and later models, according to what I've read. Can one squeeze more
> compression from the block? Can it be made into a lively little car?     Any
> comments?    John

Hi John,

Up front, know that I am biased! However, I bought my 4 back before they
were even slightly collectible.

I like the simplicity of the 4. The solid rear axle gives a stiffer
ride, but superb handling. The later IRS is more comfortable, but
requires more maintenance and is more difficult/expensive to get "dialed
in".

The later IRS models do have adjustable front suspension, but it was
more prone to breaking.

I think the 4 is beginning to get more recognition as a classic, like
the 3 deservedly enjoys.

Not that 6's aren't classics! I'd love to own one some day, but have a
shopping list of other, mostly earlier LBC's in line ahead of it.

The 4's engine is very strong and flexible. It's quite a lively car in
stock form. I believe you can build it to 140-150 hp with relatively
inexpensive modifications and still keep it reasonably bullet-proof.
Just mill the head, pop in some oversized valves, headers, lightened
flywheel, pair of Webers, yada yada! Parts are very available. Let your
checkbook be your guide! There are 200 hp 4's out there with a small
fortune in a motor which needs rebuilding annually, not for me.

The 4's "track record" is nothing short of phenomenal! How many cars do
you know have won at a national level 30 years after the start of their
model run? There seem to be a lot of "rough" 4's around, due to amateur
racing careers. This is a car that allowed a lot of people who otherwise
could never have afforded it to get into some level of competition. I
suspect there will be a shortage of clean 4's due to all the hard use so
many of them have enjoyed. There have been comments on this list as how
a restored 4 seems rarer at shows and meets than a restored 2/3.

This is changing, but for a long time, vintage racing was pretty much
limited to the 4 cylinder models of Triumphs.

As to being a transition model, that can be attributed to blasphemous
roll up windows, rack & pinon steering & probably the first mass
production targa top. But then the 3 was one of the first with front
disk brakes.

I really think you should buy the 4, drive it along with your 6 for a
few years, and give us a long term comparison report! ;-)

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L

--