69 GT6 restoration

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 69 GT6 restoration
From: LBPB1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 06:54:16 EDT
Hi List!
          Got a couple of questions for ya.....This poor car has been apart
for 6 years and I am finaly getting back to it. I have built a rotisserie for
the body so I can get to every part of it without having to get under it. It
works well and its about 4 feet off the floor. Since I must replace the floor
pans I thought it would be best to put the doors back on it to keep the body
straight. When I fitted the doors agian I found there was a big gap at the
point where the rocker panel curves up the side of the car in front of the
door on both sides. The rest of the door clearance seem to be about right or
a bit tight, but I cant seem to get the adjustment foward enough to close the
gap up front which is about 3/8 of an inch on one side and a half inch on the
other. Since I cant get the hood on the body where it is could I get a few of
those people who own early (70 or before) cars to take a measurement for me?
Should I "slot" the holes in the hinges? As I remember the hood edge should
line up with the rocker panel which would mean that the gap would be wide all
the way up to where the cowl is. Is this right? I have seen picks but they
show different widths. I dont want to weld in the floor before I  know that
the body is in the right position. This is a daunting task but I have had the
car almost 20 years and it was my only means of transport at one time. Now I
have the resorces to "do it right". All the sheet metal from the floors up to
about 8 inches ia getting replaced! Any tips or expierance with this sort of
project would be great! Thanks!

PLB3