Spitfire Questions

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire Questions
From: "tr6" <tr6@mail.icongrp.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 08:42:58 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers:
   Well, on Saturday we delivered my '69 TR-6 to a new list member.  Hope he
has as much fun with it as I had.  My plan was (is?) to get a series Land
Rover to use as daily transportation during the lousey weather part of the
year.  Figured that it is British and will allow me to continue to enter the
British Car meets but, I'm going through serious lbc withdrawal.  My wife
seems sympathetic to my picking up a Spitfire along with the Landie, if the
combined cost doesn't get too high.  Therefore, I have a couple of
questions:  Here in the midwest, OD would be a requirement but as a
potential alternative, does anyone in the US make a 5 speed conversion?  I
know of several outfits making them for Spridgets using either Datsun 210 or
Toyota transmissions.  Second, did the Spitfire ever use the BMC series A
engine?  I know the Midgets ended up using the 1500cc Spitfire engine.  The
series A engine seems to have an awful lot of aftermarket support and if the
Spitfire did not use it, is there support for its various engine
configurations similar to the TR-6?  One of the things on my list of things
to do before I hit 45 is to rebuild an engine for additional performance and
does the Spit fit the bill?
   Once again, thanks in advance.
   Don Emery
  w/o lbc (for now)