Re: I need advice for my TR6

To: tigerpb@ids.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: I need advice for my TR6
From: Creigtrium@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:29:41 EDT
In a message dated 6/18/99 6:36:07 AM Central Daylight Time, tigerpb@ids.net
writes:

<< At 10:41 PM -0400 6/17/99, Creigtrium@aol.com wrote:
 >I have been in the process of rejuvenating my TR6 for several years now.  I
 >have finally got the car in generally good running condition except for a
 >miss at low RPM.  At low RPM (under 1500 sometimes up to 2000) I get a
 >sputter and miss particularly under power.  I have tried all range of
 >mixture, timing, and point dwell and the problem persists.
 >Creig Houghtaling

 Craig: I find that 90% percent of the time, it's some basic item in these
 sitiuations. Is the condensor good? How old is the coil and the ignition
 wires? Have you tried moving up one heat range with the spark plugs? How
 about deep sixing the pollution crap and moving you timing up to 8 to 10
 deg. BTDC? >>

I have replaced all the ignition components; points, condenser, rotor, cap,
wires, plugs, sport coil.  That doesn't necessarily mean they are all good.
I might try new plugs.  I spent extra to put in Split Fires but I have since
read that they only help if you have a weak ignition system.  I'll see what
new hotter plugs do.  I might try more advance on the timing again.  I know I
have tried 4 to 6 deg. BTDC but I don't remember if I've been as far as 8 to
10.

If the plugs and timing don't make a difference, I could play with emission
components again.  Do you think pulling the gases off the valve cover
directly into the carbs is a problem? Or is it the pipe from the cylinder
head into the intake manifold?  Or is it the fuel fumes from the canister?
Or is it something about the way the vacuum retard pulls from the carbs
through that funny switch valve on the radiator hose?  I have kept everything
as-is for two reasons.  1. I don't know what I can ditch without adversely
affecting the performance of the engine.  2. Up till this year I have had to
pass an emission inspection and I didn't know what I could keep or get rid of
without adversely affecting that.

After I try the plugs and timing I'll let you (and the list) know how it
went.  I may have to talk more about emission components.

Thanks,
Creig Houghtaling
St. Louis, MO

PS I'm glad I didn't send the above mail yet.  I had a new set of Champion
RN12YC's in the garage.  So after I wrote the above I went out and pulled the
Split Fire SF6E's out and put in the Champions.  THE CAR RUNS PERFECTLY!!!
:-)  :-)  :-)  I inspected the plugs that I took out.  They were all clean
and good looking.  I've probably had them in the car for about 500 to 1000
miles (about a year and a half) and I think they have made my engine run bad
since I put them in.  You can imagine how happy I am now!  I suspected the
plugs.  That is why I had a new set.  I just never took the time to change
them since the others were so new.  I read that the Split Fire's may not
help, but I couldn't imagine that they could be so bad.  (That just proves my
point, that just because something has been done, doesn't mean it is right.)

BTW:  I didn't change the timing from about TDC.  It may improve performance
to change it, but the first thing I had to do was get the engine running
right!  And now it is!

Thanks again!
Creig