[TR6] Cam installation: halfway there!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR6] Cam installation: halfway there!
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:08:29 -0400
I'm halfway through the installation of my new camshaft. That is, if you
count getting the old one out as halfway.  I had to resort to the "rope
trick" to get the head off.  The old camshaft is well and truly "toasted",
as are most of the followers.  4 of them have pronounced "dishing" on the
contact surface. I don't know if this is due to poor metallurgy, neglect in
the oil-change department by the PO, or what.

I had a bit of a parts setback when the head gasket (ordered through the
BPC) arrived from Moss kinked.  It seems someone at the Moss warehouse
decided it *would* fit in the box that was handy (and too small).  A quick
email to the Burgers at theBCP, and I got the new gasket today!

Now it's time to start putting things back together, after decoking the
head, etc.  Valves all look fine. I got several suggestions to have the
head milled to increase compression to take the most advantage of my S2
cam.  How much do I have the machine shop take off for a moderate increase?
 30 thousandths or so?

I'll write an update when I'm done, or sooner if I get stuck.

Ted Stevens
stevens@erols.com
74 TR6          Gaithersburg, MD