RE: brush up on alternators?

Subject: RE: brush up on alternators?
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:55:44 -0700
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Well said !
except that rings in an alternator are called 'slip rings', not
commutators.  The 'commute' part of a commutator is that it switches the
circuit from one coil to another as the armature rotates, but slip rings
don't.
In a DC generator, the commutator effectively acts as a mechanical
rectifier, which is required because the current/voltage in the windings is
actually AC.
An alternator works on the same principles, but since it uses an electronic
rectifier, the current generating windings don't have to rotate, and the
slip rings only carry the excitation current.  Thus, it has a magnetic
field rotating inside a coil, instead of a coil rotating inside a magnetic
field.

Bad diodes are certainly a likely explanation for a warning lamp at idle,
but brushes are easier to check <g>