compression tester

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: compression tester
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:50:54 -0500
Cc: vscjohn@huntnet.net
> Greetings to the Group!
>
>         I am in the process of purchasing my first TR6 :)!
>         A mechanic suggested that I have the owner check the compression.
>
>         How easy is it to test the engine compression?
>         Do you need any special tools (Can you tell I don't know my way
> around
> the engine compartment !)
>
> Is it time consuming?
> Is it expensive?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jim
> Soon to be TR6 Owner

Jim,  If you don't have a compression tester and don't want to buy one, many
auto parts stores now offer "free" use of tools and I believe a compression
tester may be available that way.  You pay the value of the tool and then get
the money back when you return it.

>Its simple.  You will need a compression gauge that screws into the spark
>plug hole.  Remove all plugs, fit gauge, hold throttle wide open, spin engine
>with starter until the gauge reaches its highest value.  repeat on all
>cylinders.  Do with the engine warm.  Look for essentially equal compression
>in all cyls.  Variance should not be more than 5-10 %.  Leakdown is more
>diagnostic, but more complicated.  John

BTW good information on compression testing, but why do you recommend opening
the accelerator all the way? Also, I've found that more information on the
cylinders' actual condition is found when the engine is cold, because when it's
warm sometimes even a worn engine will test ok.
Regards,
Richard