Re: Route to VTR in Portland (from Albany, NY)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Route to VTR in Portland (from Albany, NY)
From: Kenneth Streeter <streeter@bit-net.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 22:29:54 -0400

John Rossi writes:

> Hello All Northerns:   Could someone give me a good route
> to take to Portland from the Albany, NY (or Stottville,
> Columbia Co.) area.  Wife is the smart one.  She is flying
> into Albany.   And I am driving up from Flintstone, GA.
> This will save her about 5 vacation days.  Yes, she is flying
> back to Chattanooga too.  But I get to go the Roadster party.
> Yahoo.  Thanks John    Flintstone, GA

John,

 I regularly drive from Albany, NY to Bedford, NH, and can
suggest a good route for you, which is also a great route
for a Triumph:

  From Albany NY, get to route 7 East in Troy.  Follow route
7 East from Troy to Bennington, VT.  (At the Vermont border,
route 7 switches to route 9).  For a break if you need
one, visit the Bennington Battle Monument.
(http://www.sover.net/~toberua/Interest/)

 You'll be able to see the monument from a distance away and
just follow your eyes towards it.  You could also drop by at
Hemmings Motor News which is headquartered in Bennington, VT.  (For
more info see http://www.hemmings.com/hemmings/htm/whoweare.htm)
There's also a number of covered bridges right in/around Bennington,
if you want to get a photo of the TR with a covered bridge.

  Stay on route 9 east towards Brattleboro, VT, and then
over to Keene, NH.  At Brattleboro, VT, route 9 follows
I-91 North for about 3 miles (1 exit).  Follow route 9 east
to Keene, NH.  At Keene, stay on route 9 (which merges
with route 169) towards Hillsborough and Concord, NH.
At Hillsborough, route 9 merges with NH-202.  Follow
route 9/202 through Concord, NH (be sure to look for
the gold dome of the NH statehouse).  Concord would
make a great place to stop for lunch downtown.  Don't
worry about driving in downtown Concord -- it's a very
small city by even New England standards.  202 will take
you all the way to Portland, ME, going through Epsom, NH
then Rochester, NH, Sanford, ME, Gorham, ME, and finally
bring you (on route 25) to Portland.  Route 25 will take
you across Portland through a lot of lights, across 295
at exit 6, where you can then follow the directions to
the convention from the web page.

  Note that the above route is the "scenic route" on smaller
back roads.  The quickest route would be to take I-90 (NY
Thruway) east from Albany to the Mass Pike (I-90) to
I-290 in Springfield, ME, up to I-495 around Boston, to
I-95 North through the coastal region of New Hampshire,
and then to Portland at I-295.

  In either case, enjoy the drive, and good luck!  I'll
be looking forward to seeing you at the convention.  I'll
be the harried fellow at the registration desk...

--ken
VTR 1999 Convention Registrar
VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers

--
Kenneth Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@bit-net.com
24 Grey Rock Road        | Phone: 603-471-0650