Pesky TR6 ignition key switch...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Pesky TR6 ignition key switch...
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 19:15:16 -0700
A couple weeks ago I decided to finally get a couple spare keys made for
the TR6.  A local locksmith had the correct blanks and made them up for me.
I thought I'd start using one of the new keys regularly, since my old key
was bent slightly.

Well, one of the first things I noticed using the new key is that I have to
fiddle with it to remove it from the ignition after switching the motor
off.  When I rotate it to the OFF position, it hangs up just short of where
the switch will allow you to remove the key, that is... near the end of the
key's counter-clockwise rotation toward OFF.  I have to wiggle it back and
forth a couple of times and then it finally slips past whatever it's
hanging up on and the key will then come out.  I figured that as I use this
new key more it would improve.  Well, not exactly.

Now it's starting to hang up when I try to switch the ignition ON, too.
The hang-up reveals itself right away after you insert the key and try to
rotate it clockwise toward START.  It will not allow you to rotate the key
from the OFF position.  I'll eventually get past it by wiggling the key
back and forth.  Now, it's more stubborn when trying to start it up than it
is when you remove it after shutting down.  I already tried it with the old
key, and it does the same thing.  (But it never did it before.)

Am I about to experience a failure of some sort of the key switch?
Anything I can do to smooth things out?

Other than that, it's runnin' pretty good.  I spent some time yesterday
cleaning  out the engine compartment after a long winter's accumulation of
grease, oil and ground-up cinder rock.  They use the cinder rock here in
Bend instead of salt.  I'm NOT complaining!!  Anyway, the motor is clean
enough to eat off of once again.  (not that I ever ate off of it before!!)

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6