Re: annoying rattles&clunks - GT-6

To: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Subject: Re: annoying rattles&clunks - GT-6
From: Martin Secrest <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 15:57:28 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca wrote:

> Now that we have isolated the bonnet support rattle on the TR-6, I would
> like to throw out for discussion / resolution rattles on GT-6s, mine in
> particular.  I hear rattles from the front of the car and a clunk noise
> from the area of the rear suspension.   In front,  I am assuming the bonnet
> support rod is a major cause of rattles.  There appears to be excessive
> radial clearance in the hole on the inner fender where the support rod
> attaches.  Have any of you Spit / GT owners improved this condition?  Other
> bonnet induced rattles and places to look?  I have the alignment pins
> (bonnet to cowl) adjusted for no up/down free play when bonnet is latched.

Does your bonnet "rattle" when you go over a bump?  When I had my Spitfire,
it had a sort of metal "slap" that was being caused by the bonnet height being
set incorrectly (too low); going over bumps caused contact between the front
of the bonnet and bumper, as I recall.  Worn paint in the contact area is
evidence of the problem.

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6