Re: Help: Lower Trunnions and springs TR3B (part 2)

To: Andy <amdixon@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Help: Lower Trunnions and springs TR3B (part 2)
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 16:16:18 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Andy wrote:

> Just started putting the front suspension back together on the 3 and now
> that I've loosened all the old grease (yes, I know it should be oil but the PO
> or his mechanic didn't) I've found considerable play in the trunnion on the
> right hand side. I'll assume that the driver's side is just as bad.
> In your experiences is it normally just the trunnion that wears or both the
> trunnion and the vertical link?
>
> On springs. Based on the comm # info in the TRF catalog, I ordered the long
> springs. On disassembly I find I have the short springs with the alloy
> spacer. Any significant difference, or should I return them for the shorter
> springs?
>
> Thanks,
> Andy D.

Forgot something Andy, when I ordered the new trunnions for my car aobut
6 or 9 months ago, I found they had been "overmachined" and required an
additional 4 shims per side, 16 total for the whole car, to eliminate
end play! Mine have the 3 degree castor, and I think yours are the
earlier 0 degree, so maybe they'll be okay. Anyway, don't be surprised
if they require a little "extra" to get a good fit.

Alan
--
MZ