RE: Turn Signals/1969

To: "'Philip Smith'" <smith007@mindspring.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Turn Signals/1969
From: jaltman@altlaw.com
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 19:26:17 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
The turn signals run through the 4way flasher switch, but not the flasher
itself. Its set up so the turn signal switch is disabled when the 4way
flasher is on.

Try by-passing the 4-way switch with a wire from the place on the flasher
where the light green/brown wire connects to the light green/brown wire in
the bullet connector in the harness where it emerges from the steering
column up to the turn signal switch.  Feed the new wire into the wire going
to the switch. (I don't remember which end of the bullet is male or female).
This will bypass the 4-way.

My 4 way was DOA when I bough the car and had to do this.  Later, when I had
the dash out for other reasons, I pulled the switch and took it apart and
cleaned it and put it together again.  It has been fine ever since.

I would also consider that the ground connections at the light bulbs are
dirty.  The return circuit is the frame and the flanges on the bulbholder
must have good electrical contact with the edges of the holes they go in.

You determined that the circuit was live at the flasher. Therefore you have
a meter or way to test.  Electrical troubleshooting is really very easy.
Check for voltage at each point along the circuit and by process of
elimination to find the point where power disappears. You need the wiring
diagram to be able to follow where things go (from an electrical point of
view).  Finding their physical path can be quite challenging.  Never in my
life would I have thought to look in the passenger footwell for the turn
signal flasher. I had to come to the list and ask.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK