Re: TR3A - "Freeze Plug" in my Head!!

To: Wayne Brazinski <wbrazinski@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A - "Freeze Plug" in my Head!!
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 22:18:05 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Wayne Brazinski wrote:

> I think I have the "Freeze Plug" name wrong here!  Never the less - how do I
> install the metal plug in the head  that blows out if the coolant freezes?
> I understand that I need to hit it with a hammer (this I can do!), but do I
> need any sealant?

On other kinds of engines- specifically, those that are not wet-liner, and
have the piston bores cast right into the block, these plugs are called
"core plugs"- they are used to remove the cores of casting sand from
the block after it is cast.

However, I guess they're really freeze plugs on our wet-liner engines.

You could use RTV sealant if you like.  Some people use nothing at all.
Haynes recommends the Proper Sized Socket as a punch to install freeze /
core plugs; just a hammer might damage them.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm