Off topic - Saturday night Brit Coms

To: "Triumphs mailing list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Gary F. Pfister" <pfister@pacbell.net>, "James T. Carlet" <jcarlet@aol.com>, "Mark Keehan" <markhphotog@juno.com>, "Paul Stilp" <PaulS@twbg.com>, "Richard J. Nekola" <rnekola@advant.com>, "Robert Burger" <RBwilmette@aol.com>, "Ron J. Thompson" <rthomp1881@aol.com>, "Tom Johnson" <tjohnson@imcva.com>
Subject: Off topic - Saturday night Brit Coms
From: kengano@advant.com (Gano, Ken)
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 22:38:03 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Since etymology seems to be a recurring theme, can anyone out there venture
a guess as to the origins of (or define) the British slang "Smage?"  (Sm a g
ee)  I have heard Rowan Atkinson and the characters in Red Dwarf use it to
indicate an idiot or fool, but the intonations seem to say more, like "a
damned fool."  I have also heard it used as an active pronoun, like "you
schmegging idiot."  I take it is that it is one of those words (phrases?)
that is emerging from profanity towards acceptance.  What exactly is a
"Smage" (Sc Z Maag) or Smegging (S m hee n ing)?

Just curious.

Ken Gano
kengano@advant.com
1-800-DIVORCE