Re: 76 TR6 Head Installation Questions

To: "Ronald A. Dowty" <rdowty@iso.net>
Subject: Re: 76 TR6 Head Installation Questions
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 19:24:26 -0800
Hi, yes you need to put some sort of coating on the head gasket. This is
to fill up any small imperfections in the gasket or the head itself. I
usually use a copper spray Permatex makes, avail. at most harware
stores.

However, many plain old metallic (silver, gold, etc.) spray paints
contain a lot of metal bits too and will work as well. I learned this
when my Ford van sucked a screw in through the carb while on a camping
road trip in Oregon. Spent 3 unplanned days in Port Orford, enjoyed
every minute! But I digress! Worked with a guy at the Ford Truck repair
shop there (since 1930) and he showed me that trick, simply used silver
spray paint on every head gasket. Cost total of $250 to pull the head,
make the repairs. I tried to import him to Calif.!

It is possible you need to put more seal around the water jacket areas,
I'll let another lister answer that question, as I haven't worked on the
TR6.

However, I would like to suggest you take one of the head nuts and run
it the whole way down each of the studs. Check to see if it binds part
way down. If it does, you have a stretched stud and should replace it,
you'll never get it to torque properly. It's not a bad idea to replace
all the nuts, at least. Remember to use the right tightening sequence
when reinstalling the head, and to recheck teh torque after 100-200
miles on the motor.

Good luck!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.