Re: vendors

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: vendors
From: Jack McCarrick <jmccarr@iwaynet.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 05:29:50 -0500
Cc: Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>, Fred Thomas <vafred@erols.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
I agree with Joe but would add that inventory planning and management are an
art.  Computer automation has made a significant difference in recent years, but
generally human decisions ultimately affect the on-hand quantities.  Too big of
a quess about future demand loads shelves and ties up that scares item called
cash.  Too low a guess and waits for re-supply occur.  "Just in time"  only
works if all participants in the entire supply line have capacity for surges in
production or working capital to buffer demand by holding quantities of
inventory.  Generally what happens is inventories get out of balance and either
vendors or manufacturers can not afford (or are too conservative) to buy more
stock to hold until they sell something.

Overstock can be very hard and costly to get rid of. Sort of sounds like all of
our projects.  The up side, we get better sale offers as people attempt to
adjust their inventories and free up cash to buy other things.

Computer automation continues to help in this area but has to be able to use
some data to predict demand.  We just might be in the golden age of parts
availability for some models.  As demand falls predicition and cost of holding
parts could change current realities.  Keeping as many cars on the road as
possible is essential to any of us having even the Big 3.  Too much bashing
could make it the big 2 or 1. Poor inventory management by retailers or
manufacturers could have the same result.

Jack McCarrick