Re: TR6 Brake Problems

To: "Radley, Jack" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>
Subject: Re: TR6 Brake Problems
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 12:20:44 -0500 ()
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Radley, Jack wrote:

> I went looking in the VTR internet site and found an article on a
> shortcut approach to making the rear brake adjustments.  The article
> suggests engaging the parking brake to the point of 3-4 clicks and then
> tightening the adjuster until snug.  Sounds easy enough.
>
> Any experience out there on this?

I have a slight problem with one statement in that article:

"The traditional method is to have the car on jack stands and spin the
wheel as you are tightening the brake adjuster. This, however, does not
take into consideration the front shoe (which adjusting has no effect),
nor the proper vertical placement of the shoes relative to the drum."

Actually, the adjuster DOES work equally on both the leading and trailing
shoe, at least in terms of pushing the bottom of the shoe outwards towards
the drum. But moving the adjuster might or might not put the shoe in
exactly the proper vertical position.

I prefer the "traditional" (handbrake OFF) method myself, with the added
step of using either the foot pedal or the handbrake, after adjusting, to
ensure both shoes are recentered. Then perhaps recheck the adjustment, and
recenter again if necessary.

All this hinges upon the shoes being able to move as needed in all
directions, and it also depends on the wheel cylinder being free to move
back and forth in its "slot" (since there is only one piston).

--Andy