Re: GT6 Brakes/Austin Calipers

To: Windoseat@aol.com
Subject: Re: GT6 Brakes/Austin Calipers
From: Bill Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:31:24 +0000
Cc: richard.jackson@nene.ac.uk, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Comments: ( Received on motgate.mot.com from client pobox.mot.com, sender daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com )
Windoseat@aol.com wrote:

> Aren't the GT6 and Spitfire verticle links identical except for the
> caliper
> mounting bracket?
>
> Greg

The Vitesse has a heavier (thicker) stub axle - I assume this is the
same on the GT6. The vertical link on the Vitesse has a correspondingly
larger machined opening to locate the stub axle. In other respects, the
Vitesse (all) and early Herald/Spitfire (to 1963?) Vertical Links are
the same, with the caliper mounting bracket being a seperate component.
The later Herald(Disc brake version only)/Spitfire Vertical Link casting
has an integrally cast  caliper mounting. As far as I am aware, the
Vitesse/GT6 vertical link remained unchanged to the end of production.
        In order to fit calipers with Spitfire mounting points to a GT6, it
would be possible to change the Caliper mountings for those from an
early disc-braked Herald or Spitfire, or from a 1600 Vitesse, which also
used the samller calipers. I realise that obtaining just the mountings
may be more difficult outside the UK, but it's another avenue to
explore,
        Cheers,
                Bill.

--
                            This Message sent by:
=====U==============U=====  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
\________________________/  1966 Herald 1200 Convertible
 | |                  | |   1973 Spitfire MkIV
 |_|                  |_|   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup