Re: Was O/D answers: thanx, Now an OD ?

To: Bud Rolofson <Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov>
Subject: Re: Was O/D answers: thanx, Now an OD ?
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:23:45 -0800
Cc: fogbro1@impop.bellatlantic.net, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Bud,

THe unit I have has a brass plug too, but with a large nut cast into it,
making it pretty easy to get out (maybe this was before they discovered
a new profit center and aggressively started marketing "Special Tools")

What you have sounds very similar to what is used on bicycles. So you
may be able to find a "spanner" that would work in a well-equipped bike
shop.

Before doing that, you might try a few more taps, but use a brass drift
instead to protect the plug from damage. A drift will probably be easier
to find than a "spanner"! That plug is simply threaded. It may be that
someone sealed it with who knows what to stop a persistent leak (on and
LBC?!). Mine had Permatex or something on it. I picked up a large o-ring
at the hardware store for about .50!

If none of the above works, could you trace the outline on a piece of
paper and make a tool out of some metal stock, or something?

If you do damage it, you can probably get a replacement from one of the
vendors. I know I've seen them around.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L (soon an "O")