Re: Larger valves in TR

To: <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Larger valves in TR
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:53:24 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Hmmm - You raise some interesting points.  In the spirit of keeping an
interesting discussion going, I submit the following thoughts.

According to my "Marks Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers", the
pumping losses in an engine at high speed account for about 3 psi bmep
(Brake Mean Effective Pressure), and 10 psi at thrttled idle.  If we assume
that the BMEP is 145 psi, per the TR official shop manual, this represents
about a 2% loss at high engine speed.  If we reduce the pumping losses by
half, which would be a lot, the loss would be reduced to 1%.  HP is directly
proportional to MEP X number of cycles completed per minute.  Thus, for the
same engine speed, a reduction in pumping losses from 2% to 1% would
increase HP by about the same, that is about 1%.  On the other hand, power
output is highly dependent upon the amount of fuel burned.  If we can
increase the amount of fuel introduced (in the correct fuel/air ratio, of
course) we will increase the net output of the engine.  This is the whole
reasoning behind superchargers, and is the main reason that turbochargers
are the performance mod of choice for today's car manufacturers - they
introduce a relatively large charge of fuel relatively inexpensively.  The
whole point is that the engine will produce more power if the volumetirc
efficiency (the ratio of charge/piston displacement) can be increased.  You
can do this by increasing the area of and reducing the losses in the inlet
tract (by porting and polishing, using larger valves, using high
lift/duration cams), which will give an appreciable increase in volumetric
efficiency without increasing parasitic losses, or by supercharging.  In
either case, the increase in power output will certainly exceed the 1% that
can be gained from reducing pumping losses.

As for increasing the allowable maximum engine speed to enable us to take
advantage of all this increased power, this can be done by balancing,
hardening and polishing the crank, adding extra strong valve springs etc.,
which is a whole separate issue!