Total Seal Rings

To: CarlSereda@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Total Seal Rings
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 07:51:12 -0500
Hi Carl,
      You asked:

>Please give us more info on these rings, history, where you get them,
>and basic cost.

As far as I know, they are only available direct from Total Seal; at least
that's how I've always gotten them.  You just call them, and tell them the
application (or the bore size) and give them a credit card number.  They
can supply full sets of rings, which is what I've usually done or they can
supply just their unique second ring, I think.  This second ring is the
"magic" part - it is actually a two piece ring (split in the horizontal
plane); essentially you have two rings sharing one ring groove.  You set
the ring gaps 180 degrees apart and you've got essentially a gapless
second ring, hence the name Total Seal.

Anyway, as far as contact and ordering information for Total Seal, here is
the information from the "Monster List of British Parts Vendors" (which is
a wonderful resource - if anyone on the list doesn't know about it yet,
check out: http://www.dimebank.com/monster/vendors.html)
>Total Seal
>11202 N. 24th Avenue, Suite 101
>Phoenix, AZ 85029
>(800) 874-2753
>
>These folks specialize in a specially shaped 2d piston ring that cuts
>blowby - from a typical 10% leakdown on a new engine (that lasts for
>about 500 miles) to 2% that lasts for the lifetime of the bore.  They
>will sell you a completely new ring set or convert your rings.

As far as pricing goes, I think that the last full set that I got
cost about $95 or so (for a four cylinder TR), but this included a
slight additional charge for the special moly top rings.

I'm a happy customer,

John Lye

'59 TR-3A, '62 TR-4, '70 GT-6+
email: rjl6n@virginia.edu