Re: Attention TR OD owners: New part available

To: "INTERNET:Brad.Kahler@141.com" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Attention TR OD owners: New part available
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 10:26:46 -0500
Message text written by INTERNET:Brad.Kahler@141.com
>Tony, are you sure about the "right" side.  My original fiberboard TR4
tunnel cover has one on the left side right where the speedo would be if
there was NO overdrive in the car.  Neither of my TR3 covers has this hole
on either side.  Of course my TR3's didn't have an OD.  The only hole on
the "right" side on my TR4 cover is the one for the parking brake boot
attachment.<

Yes this is on the _right_ side  Passenger side in the US.  The speedo drive is
on
that side of the OD transmission.  This is why it takes an extra long cable
for the TR2-4.  These OD's do not use an angle drive, so the cable comes
out from the OD perpendicularly, makes a bend somehow, (maybe even comes
through the tunnel will to do this, I never understood the routing) then
loops foreward to the engine bay, then loops backward to the speedo.

The TR6 (at least) has a cover plate on the right that allows access
to the cable, and angle drive.  Without this, service of the cable or
drive is essentially impossible.

I must admit, I had thought that this plate was also used on the
TR2-4 series.  I may be wrong and it may only have been for
transmissions fitted with an angle drive.  Though I see no reason that
a TR2-4 could not use one!

If you don't have the OD, then the hold in the cover was never cut, and the
plate
is unnecessary.

There is also a hole on the left side, but that uses a gasket of some sort
which seems to be available.

-Tony