RE: tr6 seat diaphragms

To: "'Peter Zaborski'" <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: RE: tr6 seat diaphragms
From: "Radley, Jack" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:20:08 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Peter:

I had broken a diaphragm in my 76 TR6 and had crumbs falling out of my
seats.  I posted a message or two about my trials and tribulations
installing new seat foams over the last few days.

I had a little trouble installing the new rubber diaphragms as well, but
with my seats fully disassembled, I was able to complete the replacement
without new holes.  I just grabbed the hooks with vise grips and leaned
into it a little.  I have heard that diaphragms can be replaced without
even removing the seat from the car, but I think that would be a
challenge.

As a follow up to my seat foam story, I did my passenger side seat 3
times over Saturday and Sunday.  With that under my belt, I did the
driver side seat once - and in record time.  I now have both seats with
new diaphragms, new foams, and the original seat covers.  The job has a
few tricks, but it is do-able and, after surviving it, a worthwhile
effort considering the crumbling foam problem I was experiencing.

Anyone considering the seat foam project should:

Have instructions available before they start.

Study the seat back foams until you recognizer the difference between
left and right (one side of the seat frame is curved    and one is more
straight.  The foams mimic this.

Keep one seat together for reference.

Take notes or memorize the paths that the seat straps take through the
frame.  Very important to route the strap from the middle of the inside
of the seat through the slit in the seat back foam and then down the
back of the seat frame.  This "tucks" the seat back cover into the foam
for a tight fit.

Take ample time to plan out how the lower seat cover will be
inter-twined into the new seat foams to re-create the original setup.
The bottom seat cover has numerous tabs that need to be glued and tucked
into the foams to ensure a good fit.  This is a part of the process
where patience is a must for good results.

Anyone planning the job should either get some help from someone who has
been through it or yell for help at the first sign of trouble.  The good
part about the seat foam project is that all the mess and mistakes occur
under the covers.  Once you have gotten through the learning curve (like
I did on my passenger side seat foams) you cover it all up.

If anyone needs help, let me know.

Jack Radley
76TR6